Circus Maximus

Active selection in cart:
Circus Maximus. As well as gladiatorial contests, the Romans loved to watch chariot racing. The most famous venue for this type of entertainment was the Circus Maximus, which is estimated to have had a seating capacity of around 250,000. During the reign of Julius Caesar the Circus Maximus was enlarged and a water-filled ditch was dug around the course to protect the spectators. To the top right of the illustration appear four images of (from left to right): Gaius Marius, Pompey, a coin celebrating Caesar's victory over Vercingetorix the leader of the Gauls, and Julius Caesar. Original artwork for illustration on pp16–17 of Look and Learn issue non 1009 (11 July 1981).

Buy this stock image

Available worldwide for immediate download up to 4,899 x 3,266 pixels. This image may be licensed for any specified use.

 

Instructions

  1. Log in or
    Register (in 30 seconds)
  2. image(s)
  3. Click on
  4. Choose intended use or request a quote
  5. Confirm terms & conditions
  6. Pay by card, PayPal or bank transfer

Can we help?

Look and Learn is one of the world’s leading sources of historical and cultural images for personal and commercial use. Feel free to contact us with any questions or requests.

Links